The main strength of the university lay in its faculty of law which had as members such noted jurists as Petrus Gregorius (1570), Cujas (1554), and de Lacoste (1594).Of the colleges at Cahors the first was founded by Raymond de Pelegry, canon of London, who provided in his will (1365) for the maintenance of thirteen poor scholars.The earliest Bishop of Comminges we know of is Suavis, who assisted at the Council of Agde in 506; but Sidonius Apollinaris speaks of the persecutions suffered at the hands of the Arian Goths in the fifth century by the bishops of Comminges. The See of Rieux was founded in 1317, by cutting off a portion of the Diocese of Toulouse. Stephen, is remarkable for the contrast between its choir and nave : the nave if Romanesque and was begun in 1211 at the instigation of Count Raymond VI ; the choir is Gothic, and was begun between 12 by Bishop Bertrand de l'Isle, and completed in the fifteenth century. Exuperius, who transferred to it the remains of St. The university also enjoyed the favour of Benedict XII, Clement VI, Urban V, Clement VII, and Benedict XIII.In 1460 Pius II ordered a revision of its statutes.In consequence of the creation of the Archdioceses of Auch and Albi under the Restoration, the Archbishop of Toulouse only styled himself Archbishop of Toulouse and Narbonne, and when the Diocese of Pamiers was created the limits of the Archdiocese were restricted to the Department of Haute-Garonne.As thus marked off by the Bull "Paternae Caritatis", July, 1822, the Archdiocese of Toulouse includes almost the whole of the ancient Dioceses of Toulouse, Rieux, and Comminges, and a few small portions of the ancient Dioceses of Montauban, Lavaur, St-Papoul, Mirepoix, and Lombez.Legends of more or less recent date claim that it was evangelized by St.Martial (see LIMOGES, DIOCESE OF), but as far as historical evidence goes the see seems to have been founded by St. Erembert (657), a monk of Fontenelle who returned to his monastery to die.
Among his successors were: the Dominican William de Laudun (1327-45), previously bishop of Vienne; Raymond de Canilhac (1345-50), cardinal in 1350; Cardinal Francis de Gozie (1391-92); Bernard du Rosier (1451-74), author of two treatises on the temporal power of the pope and on the liberty of the Church, and who founded at Toulouse the "College de Foix" for the support of twenty-five poor scholars, where he collected one of the first libraries of the period; John of Orléans (1503-33), cardinal in 1533. In 1187 Guillaume Taillefer deposited there other relics acquired in the East, especially the greater portion of the body of St. Sernin's as could be gained by visiting the seven altars of St. The University of Toulouse was founded in 1229, in consequence of a treaty between Raymond VII, Count of Toulouse, and Blanche of Castile, regent of France ; its object was to prevent by higher theological studies a recrudescence of Albigensianism.The majority of these sees were composed of territory cut off from the ancient See of Toulouse itself.John XXII offered the See of Riez in Provence to Gaillard de Preyssac, Bishop of Toulouse since 1305, whom he suspected of having conspired against him with Hugues Giraud, Bishop of Cahors.Gaillard refused the offer, and retired to Avignon where he died in 1327. The people themselves brought the body of Saint Gilles to save it from the Abigensians. Thomas Aquinas, given by Urban V to the Dominicans, was brought to Toulouse, and preserved in their church until the Revolution, when it was transferred to St. As early as 1100 a confraternity was formed with twelve superintendents and seventy-two bayles-regents (guardians), in memory of the number of the Apostles and Disciples; they took oath to watch in turn over the relics. Sernin's on 8 July, 1097, after it has been restored by the canon, St.The first archbishop was Raymond de Comminges, Bishop of Maguelonne from 1309, who, when created cardinal in 1327, abandoned the See of Toulouse and went to Avignon where he died in 1348. Alphonse, brother of Louis IX, last count of Toulouse, on his entry to the town in 1251 deposited in the church a thorn from the Crown of Thorns, which Baldwin II, emperor of Constantinople, had given to St. Raymond; Callistus II dedicated an altar there and placed in it relics of SS.